RE: Moving focus to another place after pressing a button

On 25/07/2019 07:37, Abma, J.D. (Jake) wrote:
> - after clicking on a filter button the page filters the results and
> focus is placed to the first product link

I agree with Patrick, and I've been wondering if there is a potential SC to help nudge people towards good practice on focus management.

Marcy Sutton summarised some issues & recommendations for this here:
https://www.gatsbyjs.org/blog/2019-07-11-user-testing-accessible-client-routing/#common-accessibility-barriers-in-client-rendered-web-apps

Something to the effect that navigation (links, things with a <nav> that load new content) should move the focus, buttons (controls) should not move focus.

Too often I've come across teams adding aria-live to a <main> or some such counter-productive solution.

An SC may not be the answer, but if there is a consensus on the issues & recommendations perhaps something could spring from that.

Cheers,

-Alastair