Re: CVD and Red etc was: Re: A color tutorial from Tom Jewett

Hi Laura, thank you.

I just checked out Aaron’s Chrome plugin, but unfortunately it is not an accurate simulation of Color Vision Deficiency, and indeed he says on his site:
> The simulations are not medically/scientifically accurate.
Which is the problem with many implementations, actually.

Before I wrote my web app I looked all over, trying to find some reliable and accurate CVD models/sims, and the only one I found that was solid and traced to the accurate Brettel research was Color Oracle:

http://colororacle.org

It was somewhat frustrating as I need to model it accurately for testing and evaluation of some of the related work I am doing for Silver. “If you can't find it, write an app” is sort of a motto, so I wrote an app, LOL.

Color Oracle is good though, on Mac it installs on the finder’s menubar, and will apply the simulation to the whole screen.

The CVD simulation maths of Brettel/Vienot/Mollon (1997 & 1999) and the more recent Machado/Oliveira/Fernandes (2009) seem to be the most respected. Both are backed up with empirical data and testing.

The Brettel is just about missing cones like protanopia, but the Machado et al does anomalous trichromats. But for testing I’m mainly concerned with the most severe (opia) forms, so the Brettel seemed ideal for this.

Cheers,

Andy

the Coblis color-blindness site’s