Fwd: Timescale for Timed Text work on 360 degree video captioning

Forwarding to this list, as this is a "public" thread email that may have
some relevance to our activities and group. Specifically:

   - this is signalling that "solutions" for accessibility in the VR/AR
   space are starting to surface (which suggests we'll likely need to start
   thinking about how that integrates with WCAG 2.x/Silver)

   - of interest and note is the "new" process that the Timed Text Markup
   Language WG (TTWG) plans on adopting in their next Charter, where a
   framework will emerge for individual modules which are worked on
   independently and then introduced into the specification. This is also how
   the CSS WG is operating, and is, I hope, how our WG should be thinking
   about our activities and our next Charter. Silver is/will be the new
   framework, but the individual "modules" that are new SC continue to be
   written and added to the collection as and when they are ready. (This does
   appear to be the way we are headed, with some objections noted.)

At any rate, I find this fascinating and very relevant to what it is we do.

JF

****************************
Hi Chris,

thank you for asking. You are correct in noting that TTWG agreed to take on
the 360ยบ/VR requirement described in https://github.com/w3c/tt-reqs/issues/8
for our work in 2019, with the intention of getting to a published
document, hopefully a Rec, by the end of the calendar year, probably being
a module of TTML3.

* TTML has so far been monolithic but the TTWG has recognised that this
makes the process of updating it a bigger task than is ideal and so has
decided to create a framework that will allow us to publish smaller more
targeted "bolt-on" specifications or "modules" that can go through the W3C
process more rapidly.*

Requirements work is very welcome as soon as it is available; it's hard
currently to predict but my guess is that we would need to have received it
at the latest by the end of April. Of course anyone interested in
participating in the work, or in implementation work is most welcome to
join.

I should add that it is also the plan for the TTWG to recharter in the next
few months (targeting end of May) to ensure that the scope and deliverables
agreed at https://github.com/w3c/tt-reqs/milestone/2 are correctly
reflected in the Charter. We would then hope to have first working drafts
available in June or early July.

There's a lot on the slate for us this year so these timescales are
ambitious; the general view of the group is that we should target Rec
publication by the end of the year and if that means descoping work that
would cause us to fall behind that schedule, and/or deferring it until
later, then that is the approach we will take.

It is probably obvious that all input will be very much appreciated and
help achieve that goal; conversely, absence of participation will reduce
the pace of progress.

kind regards,

Nigel (Chair, TTWG)