Re: Crowd Source Request: Examples of pre in pages you use.

On 31/01/2019 00:54, John Foliot wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
>
> I'm not a Poly Lit Major, but I believe the formatting of both of those
> examples is in fact important; certainly the Haiku, which is
> specifically defined as 3 lines with the 5,7,5 syllable construct.
> Wrapping (for example) the middle line would certainly break that
> construct, and it would no longer be a Haiku...

The construct would not be broken, it would just ... reflow to the
available space. As long as the differentiation between the 3 lines is
clear (using <br> at least, and using whatever other visual
differentiation if needed...even making the <br> styled to have a
visible carriage return arrow or similar if anything else is ambiguous),
reflowing the individual lines to available width does not break the
syllable construct.

> I also quoted the specific pattern of the Robert Service poem, where the
> 4-line pattern is also an important literary construct;

As above.

> I can't comment
> on *how* important, but I do know there is some importance attached. Any
> academics out there who could weigh in?

Patrick H. Lauke