Re: Using preformatted text or excluding preformatting text as an exception to no two dimensional scrolling as failure for Reflow 1.4.10

On 29/01/2019 17:47, John Foliot wrote:
> ...and this is why I so dislike Failure Techniques...
>
>      > I'm guessing the failure per se is the use of preformatted text,
>

> We cannot do this or say this as broadly as that. There are many
> instances where pre-formatted text would be required (the most common
> use-case being poetry).
[...]
> In these examples, the formatting of the text also conveys the
> Pentameter <https://literarydevices.net/pentameter/>of the rhymes/poems.
> Conveying this critical literary device is wholly dependent on the
> formatting of the text.

The distinction between each line could be conveyed with other means.
You could have subtly alternating background colours for odd/even lines.
A visible line break indicator. Etc. I don't think that would detract
from the meaning/meter. The one area where preformatted text may lose
its meaning that I can see is where it's used for ASCII art or similar
(or futurist poetry, but that almost blurs the line between being a
graphic/image as well).

So, going back to Joshue's questions...what does the hard to logically
parse "Using preformatted text or excluding preformatting text as an
exception to no two dimensional scrolling" mean?

Patrick H. Lauke