Re: Silver Conformance Proposal (draft)

Thanks for this jeanne. My first impression is that it's a good system
that encourages the right approach to accessible implementations. A
handful of comments...

I'm not sure I understand the purpose of the "ease of implementation"
points. Unless I'm misunderstanding it, it seems as though people who
use modern standards based technologies would be penalised because
solutions are more likely to be easily implementable, than those using
legacy technologies where implementation is more difficult?

The suggestion to "grandfather" existing WCAG2.1 Level AA
implementations to Bronze status seems inadviseable to me. Unless there
is a direct mapping of Level AA to Bronze, which seems unlikely given
the distinctly different methodologies, I think it will cause confusion
in different ways:

* Users will not know whether an implementation is Level AA or Bronze.
* Lawyers will not know which set of guidelines to use as reference in
legal cases.
* Developers/creators might be tempted to hit Level AA then use the
"grandfather" clause to migrate to the new standard, as an easy path to
a better standard of implementation.
* Generally speaking such automatic migration doesn't happen in
standards, and breaking with that tradition seems counter-productive.

I agree that combining the creation of a new set of guidelines and
creation of a certification programme, is not a good idea. Not least
because the political and logistical ramifications of creating a
certification programme are enormous, and would almost certainly slow
down the entire project if it were attempted now.

I know it's only an example, but where the proposal says if you're
evaluating a home assistant device the user need of limited vision will
not apply, I do not think this is the case. Recent generations of the
Echo have screens built into them, and all generations have the
capability to output spoken content to cards displayed on the Alexa
website or app.

Keep up the good work. This is looking incredibly promising!

Léonie.

--
@LeonieWatson tink.uk Carpe diem