Re: Telco result, resolution

Am 03.06.2019 um 14:45 schrieb Andrew Kirkpatrick:

> Detlev,
>
> I’ll add that we did not resolve the survey item as to option 1, 2, or
> 3, but did resolve (based on lengthy discussion and multiple verbal
> questions to the group on the call about the discussion) that *The WG
> intended that path-based gestures in 2.5.1 does not include gestures
> that only depend on the start and end points.*

Hi Andrew,
OK, I see. I still find it not easy to grasp what is actually meant by
that.*
*

> So, we will be discussing the options for how to convey this in the
> Understanding document, but I believed at the time of the call that
> everyone on the call agreed with this resolution, and given the
> information presented on the call I believed that your concerns were
> addressed even if the conclusion was not in line with what you wanted.
> You seem to feel otherwise

It is always difficult to fully picture what happened in a call based on
the written minutes. In the survey I had made the point that I felt the
2.1.1 exception language was not helpful as a starting point for a
definition of "path-based", and reading the minutes, it seemed that this
had not been discussed. I think outside the WG, people will have a hard
time understanding that language.

> so we can continue the discussion but I do encourage you to keep
> separate what you want the SC to say from what the group agreed to
> when developing WCAG 2.1 – this was a challenge on the call and is
> often a challenge in these sorts of discussions.

I agree, this is a real challenge. The mobile a11y TF had originally
intended to mandate single point activation for *all* path-based
gestures (including dragging) - this was couched in the term "complex
gestures" at the time. A distinction between swipe and drag simply
wasn't discussed at the time in MATF (and the distinction is still
difficult from a experiential user perspective - it may depend on how
fast your finger happens to come down and then move on the screen.
Things like content sliders that can be swiped can usually also be
dragged). Later in the development of 2.5.1, it surfaced that a single
point activation requirement for free-form drag-n-drop would be hard to
implement and make the interface considerably more complex - hence the
proposal to exclude free-form drag-n-drop, which then brought up the new
question "How do we then differentiate between dragging per se and
drag-n-drop actions?"

So the whole discussion is a moving target which has over time changed
our understanding of what would or wouldn't be in scope of 2.5.1. For
example, I realised only recently that defining path-based gestures as
being 'directional' might allow an interpretation where nearly *all*
path-based gestures (see Alastair's recent video examples) could be seen
as out of scope of 2.5.1. This is something that I would like to avoid,
in order to stick to the original intention and meet users' needs. Our
evolving understanding, in my view, justifies going back to WG
resolution like
https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/issues/478#issuecomment-348069753 which
seemed reasonable a the time. We should reconsider whether the language
proposed there still expresses what the WG wants to achieve, both in
order to arrive at clear language that readers will understand, and in
order to define the scope in a way that it does not offer a huge
loophole for authors. Of course, there is the option to include dragging
in another, additional SC for 2.2, but I wonder whether the
proliferation of SCs which do very similar things is really desirable.
Then there is the aspect of accessibility for pointer users with AT on,
that Patrick has highlighted, which might be worked into 2.5.1 or a new
SC for dragging, or both - another point that supports a return to
single point activation for any kind of path.

--
Detlev Fischer
Testkreis

Mobil +49 (0)157 57 57 57 45

http://www.testkreis.de
Beratung, Tests und Schulungen für barrierefreie Websites