Re: Potential failure technique for WCAG 2.1 SC 2.5.6 - Concurrent Input Mechanisms

On 26/11/2018 23:22, Alastair Campbell wrote:

> And Patrick said:
>
>  > As long as once the user goes back to the keyboard and moves the
> focus again the newly focused item is highlighted/visibly focused, that
> would be fine to me.
>
> I’m not sure about that, not due to 2.5.6, but for 2.4.7 Focus Visible.
> It still a keyboard-operable interface, just because you move the mouse
> doesn’t mean it isn’t keyboard operable, so I think it still applies.
>
> I guess “a mode of operation where the keyboard focus indicator is
> visible” could mean it appears when tabbing, but it doesn’t seem like a
> good idea to over-ride focus styles. If you haven’t tabbed and there is
> no focus, fine. But if something is in focus via the keyboard, shouldn’t
> it maintain that until the focus moves?

Tension between "not a good idea" and "fails WCAG 2.x". I've argued in
the past, and still believe, that indeed the "a mode of operation" part
of the normative language does allow for the scenario outlined. As you
say, it's probably not the smartest of moves, but that moves more into
usability/UX/design I'd say, rather than being a clean fail.

Patrick H. Lauke