RE: Horizontal scrolling & reflow

I see these horizontal scrollers a lot such as Google search on the iPhone.
My thoughts are

  1.  That you don’t have to scroll to read any visible block of content – that is each discrete unit fits on the screen at any given time.  It’s the larger control that does not.  So they don’t present the same issue with a paragraph of text.
  2.  They could fall under the essential exception just like toolbars do.

“Interfaces which provide toolbars to edit content need to show both the content and the toolbar in the viewport. Depending on the number of toolbar buttons, the toolbar may need to scroll in the direction of text (e.g., horizontally in a vertically scrolling page). This Success Criterion therefore does not apply to interfaces which provide toolbars.”
https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/reflow

The alternative might be an endless vertical scroller and could be worse implemented vertically.

So I think we need to document this exception.

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila, CPWA
Chief Accessibility Officer
Level Access
jon.avila@levelaccess.com
703.637.8957 office

Visit us online:
Website<http://www.levelaccess.com/> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/LevelAccessA11y> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/LevelAccessA11y/> | LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/company/level-access> | Blog<http://www.levelaccess.com/blog/>

Looking to boost your accessibility knowledge? Check out our free webinars!<https://www.levelaccess.com/compliance-resources/webinars/>

The information contained in this transmission may be attorney privileged and/or confidential information intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.