Re: Firefox Accessibility Inspector reports placeholder attribute as eligible for accessible name

I think that the greatest problem with relying on placeholder is with 3.3.2 - I believe that the group felt that a label needs to be persistent and that the fact that a placeholder used as a label will disappear when the field is filled can trigger a failure.

Thanks,
AWK

Andrew Kirkpatrick

Head of Accessibility

Adobe

akirkpat@adobe.com

http://twitter.com/awkawk

On 8/8/18, 15:27, "Jonathan Avila" <jon.avila@levelaccess.com> wrote:

    > We've identified that placeholder use as the sole form of labelling is strongly discouraged, but I believe we do at least partly agree here that the fact that it is used as a last resort for the accessible name calculation is correct?

    If it is a last resort for the accessible name -- then when only it is used the component still has an accessible name and assuming it's a meaningful name it passes WCAG.  I don't agree with that putting in the acc name even as a last resort because it legitamizes it's use as an accessible name and makes it difficult for us to prevent it's use and proliferation.  I'd prefer to see something like -- is not used in the accessible name calculation but browser's may expose it as fallback content.

    Jonathan