From: Newton, Brooks (Legal) [mailto:Brooks.Newton@thomsonreuters.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 2:39 PM
To: Patrick H. Lauke; Glenda Sims; Schnabel, Stefan
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: RE: Bug: Firefox Accessibility Inspector reports placeholder attribute as eligible for accessible name

If we are to agree that visible labels are required for all content that requires user input, I would fail Glenda's CodePen example for violating SC 3.3.2 Labels or Instructions.  The visible label (placeholder text) disappears when a user starts to input characters into the text field.   I can't find anything in this Success Criterion's normative or informative text that excuses temporary removal of the label in Glenda's example from the visible interface, while the input is still available for interaction by the user.

I think this makes the issue of whether or not the accessible name is programmatically determinable moot.

Brooks