Re: Bug: Firefox Accessibility Inspector reports placeholder attribute as eligible for accessible name

Alastair,

Would it be possible to bring up this question on the next AGWG agenda?
Reason I'm dealing with the question right now...we are assessing client
sites for WCAG 2.1 SC 2.5.3 Label in Name https://www.w3.org/TR/
WCAG21/#label-in-name

I think it is important, that a11y experts be able to agree on whether the
following code snippet minimally passes:

WCAG 2.1 SC 1.3.1 Info and Relationships
WCAG 2.1 SC 2.5.3 Label in Name

Code snippet: <input type="text"  name="first"  placeholder="First Name"
id="first">
Sample of code to test: https://codepen.io/goodwitch/pen/OwEmEw
Firefox Accessibility Inspector reports this field as having an accessible
name of “First Name”

I believe it fails both

   - 1.3.1 Info and Relationships
      - (based on F68 https://www.w3.org/TR/2016/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-
      20161007/F68)
      - 2.5.3 Label in Name
      - because the placeholder text fails to be the accessible name based
      on F68

In the interest of helping people with disabilities...I am starting to see
what Jamie Teh is saying about placeholder being like title.  And I'm about
to say something super controversial...do we need to update Failure
Technique 68.

Peace out,
Glenda

*glenda sims* <glenda.sims@deque.com>, cpacc