RE: Is wikipedia really an example of a fail for 2.4.12?

Wikipedia definitely has some accessibility issues on this page.

From the stand point of SC 3.3.2  - G167<https://www.w3.org/TR/2016/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20161007/G167> can be used for the search field itself – but not the Language select.

The search field doesn’t have a text label so I don’t think 2.4.12<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#label-in-name> applies.

The language  select doesn’t have a programmatic name – so it fails SC 1.3.1/4.1.2.

Regarding SC 2.4.12 – this is tricky because there the visual label – the value for the location is not sufficient to label the element and thus it fails SC 3.3.2 – but by virtue of failing both 3.3.2 and 1.3.1 it would also fail SC 2.4.12 unless we are saying no name is = to no label – in which case null = null which is true.

Jonathan

From: Abma, J.D. (Jake) <Jake.Abma@ing.com>
Sent: Monday, March 5, 2018 12:52 PM
To: Brooks.Newton@thomsonreuters.com; josh@interaccess.ie; w3c-wai-gl@w3.org; Jonathan Avila <jon.avila@levelaccess.com>
Subject: Re: Is wikipedia really an example of a fail for 2.4.12?

Hi Brooks/Josh,

Funny thing here is they probably implemented it incorrectly as the 'for' and 'id' indeed don't match but the 'for' and the 'name' attribute on the input does.

But if I remember well, referencing a comment from Jonathan not so long ago, it doesn't matter as the intention of the visible text in this case, the "EN" does serve as the label. The example mentioned by Jonathan was a search field with no label where the button with the text "search" serves the label purpose.

So I'm wondering whether​ the "wrongly" implemented for/id combo (if not done on purpose) matters...

@Jonathan ?