Re: CFC - Transition UPDATED WCAG 2.1 Editor's Draft to Candidate Recommendation

Thanks Katie. This was a thoughtful assessment of a prickly topic. A
couple of thoughts inline...

On 26/01/2018 18:34, Katie Haritos-Shea wrote:
> I am shocked at all that we did not do because there was no time. As the
> global standard relied upon for the civil rights of millions of people
> are we really OK with privileging the schedule over the content?

I think the goal is to be able to move in a timely fashion, and have the
right content. I don't think we got it right with 2.1.

We tried to move from a 10 year cycle to an 18 month cycle, but we
didn't define a clear path beyond 2.1 (setting aside Silver for the moment).

For a regular release cycle to work, people have to have confidence that
the next version will happen. That way if something needs a little more
time to reach maturity, it can do so, because the next version will soon
be there.

So we took the first step towards a regular release cycle, but didn't
follow it through properly. This meant many people were stuck in the
mindset that if something didn't make it into 2.1, it wouldn't make it
at all.

[...]

> Does it need to take another 10 years to get it right? Absolutely not.
> And I said before, there are options between 18 months and 10 years. I
> suggested 3 years as a reasonable "iteration"  timeline for an
> international accessibility standard.

On reflection, I think three years might have been a better target for
2.1. It may well have been an easier transition for some people to make.

That said, had we not adopted this timeline, the EU would have
legislated without any of the 2.1 SC at all.

Léonie.

--
@LeonieWatson @tink@toot.cafe Carpe diem