RE: Ability to revisit/edit things from previous versions (was Re: Trying to be clear - was making the draft for CR accurate)

I would suggest considering these issues more closely during the next re-chartering effort.

From: Joshue O Connor - InterAccess [mailto:josh@interaccess.ie]
Sent: Friday, January 26, 2018 12:57 PM
To: tink@tink.uk
Cc: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>; w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: Re: Ability to revisit/edit things from previous versions (was Re: Trying to be clear - was making the draft for CR accurate)

LĂ©onie Watson wrote:

This is one of my concerns going forward as well. A few times in our 2.1 work we've had situations where editing or expanding/narrowing/clarifying the scope of existing 2.0 content (SCs, normative text) would have been ideal...but instead we were only allowed to add, never subtract/touch existing material.

I think this was perhaps the most incomprehensible decision made during 2.1. It should be possible to conform to the present version, the previous version, or even the original version if you really want to, but the notion that in order to conform to 2.1 you have to conform to 2.0,  puts a serious obstacle in the way of progress IMO.
The mantra is that WCAG 2.0 is a stable standard and just does not change, now and forever Amen.
However, I do agree that just changing existing SC _would_ have been preferable (in some cases) but between the jigs and reels, this was not possible for 2.1.
--
Joshue O Connor
Director | InterAccess.ie

Thank you for your compliance.