Re: CFC - Target Size (2 options)

On 20/01/2018 11:24, Patrick H. Lauke wrote:
> On 20/01/2018 00:17, White, Jason J wrote:
> [...]
>> We also find the commentary that you can’t ask authors (or
>> accessibility testers) to test that 44px by 44px really renders
>> acceptably on every possible consumer device troubling. We need to
>> remember that it is the consumer/user who is being inconvenienced when
>> the device they choose (whether for economics, or other reasons) can’t
>> render touch targets that are at usable size, even if the authored
>> content is technically conformant.
>
> So what is your practical suggestion on this? Normatively define that
> authors and auditors must test on particular devices, defined
> normatively somewhere?
>
> When new devices come out, that for whatever reasons deviate subtly from
> what those devices do (and all of a sudden a size that was valid is
> rendered a millimeter or so below the real-world size as measured on
> screen that's mandated), it's a fail - and retrospectively all other
> passes are fails?

I'll also note that the approach of defining px sizes as there's no way
for authors to control the exact physical rendered size on all devices
is conceptually no different from, say, defining color contrast ratio
based on the color values as set by the author in the content, rather
than mandating that authors measure the color as rendered on screen
(where it would result in variations due to type of monitor, brightness,
contrast, color profiles, etc which cannot be queried nor controlled by
authors either).

Patrick H. Lauke