Re: CFC - Target Size (2 options)

-1
for the many reasons already spelled out by prior respondents.

I still regret that it looks like this SC will now be rejected for level
AA, but in the current form it looks like an absolute hotchpotch (was
the difference betweeen 26 and 28 px intentional? I guess not).

When acknowledging the reality that even those who advise designers on
target size (MS, Apple, Google) fail to eat their own dog food, one way
forward when picking up the pieces in WCAG 2.2 might be to go for a
lower and more realistic target size of, say, 30x30 CSS Pixels (and
exceptions) even knowing that many users would require larger targets.
Rationale: (A) The lower requirement may survive pushback; (B) Even a
reduced target size like 30x30 would still help many users with lighter
impairments who struggle with hitting tiny controls. Some users require
100x100px which is certainly not achievable as a general requirement; so
there will have to be a cut-off point somewhere in any case.

To address the confusion of target size and size plus spacing, I believe
we need an SC text that synthesizes both. A simple suggestion would be
to pass anything within 44x44 pixels as long as the actual target is
bigger than x (say, for the sake of the argument, 30x30) which would
mean it could be either 44x44 targets in a row without spacing, OR 30x30
targets plus 7 px clearance to adjacent targets (if there are any). We
would probably still need to have exceptions (or reduced requirements)
for lists of links, as in drop-down navigation menus. It's a tricky one...

Am 18.01.2018 um 05:28 schrieb Andrew Kirkpatrick:

> Call For Consensus — ends Friday January 19th at 11:30pm Boston time.
>
> The Working Group has discussed a change to the Target Size SC in
> response to public comments.
>
> *The proposed SC text (Option 1):*
>
> The size of the target for pointer inputs is at least 44 by 44 CSS
> pixels or is at least 26 by 26 CSS pixels with 8 CSS pixels spacing
> between targets except when:
>
>   * Equivalent - The target is available through an equivalent link or
>     control on the same page that is at least 44 by 44 CSS pixels
>     pixels or is at least 28 by 28 CSS pixels with 8 CSS pixels
>     spacing between targets;
>   * Inline- The target is in a sentence or block of text;
>   * User Agent Control - The size of the target is determined by the
>     user agent and is not modified by the author.
>   * Essential - A particular presentation of the target is essential
>     to the information being conveyed
>   * Viewport size: The viewport size has a length (height or width) of
>     at least 1000 CSS pixels.
>
> *The proposed SC text (Option 2) – this is identical to option 1 but
> removes the exception for viewport size.*
>
> The size of the target for pointer inputs is at least 44 by 44 CSS
> pixels or is at least 26 by 26 CSS pixels with 8 CSS pixels spacing
> between targets except when:
>
>   * Equivalent - The target is available through an equivalent link or
>     control on the same page that is at least 44 by 44 CSS pixels
>     pixels or is at least 28 by 28 CSS pixels with 8 CSS pixels
>     spacing between targets;
>   * Inline- The target is in a sentence or block of text;
>   * User Agent Control - The size of the target is determined by the
>     user agent and is not modified by the author.
>   * Essential - A particular presentation of the target is essential
>     to the information being conveyed
>
> Please indicate if you can:
>
> Live with option 1 and not option 2
>
> Live with option 2 and not option 1
>
> Live with option 1 or option 2, but prefer option 1
>
> Live with option 1 or option 2, but prefer option 2
>
> Cannot live with either option 1 or 2
>
> Thanks,
>
> AWK
>
> Andrew Kirkpatrick
>
> Group Product Manager, Accessibility
>
> Adobe
>
> akirkpat@adobe.com <mailto:akirkpat@adobe.com>
>
> http://twitter.com/awkawk
> <https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fawkawk&data=02%7C01%7C%7C54093524ef264326424008d51cd66c05%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636446629619786436&sdata=c5UP0xiniJIppvd6Esu1XA%2FbX1ykpABkhgCCmBp%2Fht8%3D&reserved=0>

Detlev Fischer PhD
Testkreis
http://testkreis.de

Telefon: +49-40-43 18 75-25