Re: Finding agreement on common purpose

Gregg,

There is a normative list, whether it is in WCAG (in which case we would need to have unique identifiers for each term that are referenceable) or in the HTML 5.2 spec.

The requirement is that when an author uses input fields in a form that they need to make sure that if any of the inputs have the same purpose as the normative list provided, then they use a technique to make that purpose be programmatically exposed.

If using our old friend the Gregorian format, which has no specified support for the conveyance of standardized purposes, the author doesn’t need to do anything to conform.

Once the Gregorian format is updated to include “firstName” and “lastName” purposes in the spec and there is accessibility support for them,  the author needs to use these in forms with first and last name inputs.

We are not saying that authors can use any list. Whatever is used needs to be aligned with the standard terms, but WCAG isn’t responsible for that alignment. Authors will need to identify the accessibility support to make sure that they are not just exposing purposes into the ether.

Related to point 5 – the list isn’t changing until WCAG changes. The list is stable.

Thanks,
AWK

Andrew Kirkpatrick
Group Product Manager, Accessibility