Re: Possible wording for 1.3.4?

> John, the testing is determined at the technique level, right?

Well, I know a lot of entities approach it like that, but I'd push back and
say that testing is done at the "Functional Outcomes" level, as it clearly
states that Techniques (themselves non-normative) are but *common* ways of
meeting success or failure, but not the definitive way of doing so (nor are
the techniques "complete", and in fact the WG welcomes new Technique
submissions as part of our charter).

Here at Deque, we have an internal methodology we call the Deque Way, which
uses a mix of pattern matching & 'Techniques testing' (both
mechanically via aXe, as well as via human testing), as well as a "Sanity
Check" piece-part that effectively asks the evaluator "Can the user
accomplish what needs to be accomplished on this page? Has the functional
requirement been met?" Our testing methodology presumes we've covered all
the bases as far as techniques are concerned, but always ends by asking -
"yes, but does it work for the user?"

(I'll spin you a strawman: currently EXIF data does not have a field for
text alternative, but say that spec changed, and started allowing that. A
website *could* use a scripted method of surfacing that value and exposing
it to the end user/Accessibility API, all the while not *mandating the
author* to use either "@aria-label, @aria-labelledby, @alt, or @title + a
text value" in their authored code: they use the scripted solution instead,
and the script pipes the value directly to the AAPI - it's a stretch, I
know, but hopefully you get the point: it's the functional outcome that
counts, not the Technique.)

> So if someone is using a sufficient technique that specifies html5
autofill, the testing is going to be based on that.

Well, the first test would likely look for the presence of autofill tokens,
sure, but if those tokens weren't there, but the website had a different
method of achieving the functional outcome, our testing
methodology would catch and note that too, and so *potentially* a page
could conform to this requirement even if it *didn't* use the autofill
tokens. That's because we don't just test for Techniques specifically, we
test for outcomes.

> Other technologies may have a different range of specified values and
they would similarly have testing based on that technique. So the
technology, through the Sufficient Techniques, will determine the scope for
testing.

I disagree: you seem to be assuming that the Sufficient Techniques would be
complete, and address all potential solutions, which is factually
incorrect, and even the Techniques document warns as much:

Techniques are informative—that means they are not required. The basis for
determining conformance to WCAG 2.0 is the success criteria from the WCAG
2.0 standard <http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/>—not the techniques..

*Note: *W3C cautions against requiring W3C's sufficient techniques. The
only thing that should be required is meeting the WCAG 2.0 success criteria.

(source: https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/intro.html
​)​

Specific to this SC, the suggestion is to point to the autofill values
"list" as the starting point of input fields that require support, with an
exception clause that "excuses" technologies that cannot support the full
list today. The SC doesn't say *how* to do it, it just says what you must
deliver, and the Techniques section offers *one* way of doing so (in part
to show it can be done).

JF

john.foliot@deque.com