Re: a suggestion for Personalization Semantics

> I would say that 1.3.1 already requires landmark regions in HTML
documents that have visually distinct parts of a page, but I understand
that others on the group would not hold that position.

As a robust Technique for meeting *some* of 1.3.1, the use of landmark
elements or aria-attributes is indeed recommended. However, since WCAG 2.0
was written before aria-regions or HTML5 landmark elements were
standardized (or supported by AT), we cannot retroactively say that they
are *REQUIRED*, nor can we fail content that does not use either form of
landmark determination.

   - Recommended? Yes
   - Encouraged? Beyond a doubt.
   - Required? No.

This Working Group has attempted to tackle this in the past, and the W3C
consensus position is that WCAG 2.0 does not mandate their use.

That said, the door remains open to introduce a new SC for WCAG 2.2 that
would close this gap, and that fact has been true since the onset of the
2.1 work. Not just a Failure Technique, an actual Success Criteria
requirement.

JF

--
John Foliot