From: John Foliot [mailto:john.foliot@deque.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 5:31 PM
To: Repsher, Stephen J <stephen.j.repsher@boeing.com>; WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: New Thread: Changes to Target Size for Issue 631

Hi Steve,

I think you are missing an important aspect: it isn't about total "square footage", but rather that the clickable target is at least 44 CSS px along one axis of either height or width. Given time, resources and a desire to do so, I'm sure I could come up with a polygon of more than 5(+/-) different faces, with an even greater total mass than your strawman, and yet still design it so that it would still be difficult for some users to focus and click on if the clickable regions was indeed a polygon shape (but in browsers that isn't true, with the exception of client-side image maps and/or SVG content).

I think you are correct, we need to remain focused on "boxes" (i.e. the browser box model), and the key is that one of the planes of that "box" needs to meet a minimum length, whilst it's companion axis should be a measurable value (my proposed 'default font height', which is close enough in my humble opinion).

JF