RE: Identify Common Purpose - resolving issues

I agree with David that on the scale of feasibility versus negligence it tends to lean towards the latter as it is right now. Outside the fact it could potentially be very useful and we personally want it in we should at least consider if it's worth the try of putting it in and risk negation which may affect 2.1 in total.

From: David MacDonald [mailto:david100@sympatico.ca]
Sent: woensdag 10 januari 2018 13:53
To: Detlev Fischer <detlev.fischer@testkreis.de>
Cc: Andrew Kirkpatrick <akirkpat@adobe.com>; WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Identify Common Purpose - resolving issues

I remember when we were trying to get consensus on proceeding with this one, the group was split and there was plenty of concern. I suggested we proceed with it understanding that it would be at risk, with the hope that the issues would get resolved. I've worked with the sub group dedicated to this and I really wanted it to work.

I agree with Detlev that it appears we've kept it in as long as we could and have done everything possible to try to make it work, including many hours together as a group.

Unfortunately, it appears our time is up and the implementations and maturity levels of the technology needed for this to be useful are just not there yet. I don't think we have satisfactory resolutions or responses to address the substantive comments.

It is a very big ask of developers at AA and currently there is no assurance that it will help anyone, or that mature tools will be available or become mainstream AT over the life of 2.1 which is a couple of years.

It may cause 2.1 to be be rejected or at least picked apart in some jurisdictions.

Cheers,
David MacDonald

CanAdapt Solutions Inc.

Tel:  613.235.4902