Re: Updates to Understanding 1.4.11 part 2

Hi Laura,

> But the big question is: Is it an author's responsibility to solve a user
agent issue?

I suspect that very much depends on how you define "responsibility". If you
are talking about "legal" responsibility, I'll side with the exception
language, as I agree it truly is the user-agent at "fault" here.

That said, in our Understanding documents we should be
sufficiently transparent to note that while this *is* a currently known UA
problem in some browsers (which may or may-not linger), it's a simple
problem to fix, and for maximum "usability" and adherence to the spirit of
WCAG content designers *should* address this known issue. My reasoning is
that once designers "Understand" the problem, they can adjust to it quickly
and easily, as the fix is quite simple: when you change one aspect of the
design (background color) you are responsible for all of the other contrast
changes that the initial change necessitates - that color choices are
"paired" with contrast and visible state changes as well. In practice and
observation during my multiple training activities, this does not appear to
be a hard idea to grasp by the designers (in fact, on more than one
occasion when discussing focus contrast, designers have brought this up to
me first, as they begin to grok the issues related to visual design.)

Thoughts?

JF

On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 12:23 PM, Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com

--