From: Alastair Campbell [mailto:acampbell@nomensa.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2018 4:05 AM
To: Jonathan Avila; Katie Haritos-Shea
Cc: WCAG
Subject: Re: Agenda for AGWG Call, Tuesday May 1, 2018

Hi Jonathan,

I’m agreeing with your point in general, but I’d tease out two types of issue which impact testing:

  1.  Deliberate changes at different breakpoints. For example:
Changing a widget type at smaller sizes (1.3.1)
Removing text next to an icon at smaller sizes, bringing the icon into non-text contrast scope (1.4.11)
  2.  Un-intentional layout/text flow issues such as your example. (Which is a unit-mismatch issue with text inside an container sized to the window.)

I agree that if a widget at smaller sizes doesn’t meet 1.3.1 / 4.1.2 that is an issue as it affects anyone using a phone screenreader.

For things which are deliberate it is easier to talk to the developers and/or notice the change, and focus on that in testing. For un-inentional things we can have the multiplier effect in testing.

So I think most people would agree that we should test across sizes & breakpoints [1] in responsive design, BUT, is anyone arguing for a multiplier effect? E.g. testing every SC when text-spacing is on?

Cheers,

-Alastair

1] Note that layout & text-flow changes between breakpoints as well as across them if the site uses a percentage, responsive layout.
Responsive layout = flexible + breakpoints.
Adaptive layout = fixed + breakpoints