Re: Understanding of SC 1.4.11

Hi Jon,
I've contributed to a number of rewrites, and if you're asking questions,
obviously I need another kick at the can. Note that in the latest version
I gave Alastair, I'm recommending some visual examples for both boundary
and 'adjacent colors' which may clarify your first paragraph questions.

> In one case we talk about the boundaries with the adjacent background
and the other the adjacent background of the component.  When we measure
contrast what is the contrast requirement? for both sides of the border or
only for one side?  Does it matter if it’s the inside or the outside?

So the SC text talks about "visual information used to
indicate...boundaries of user interface components". It also talks about
"parts of graphics required to understand content". Two different things,
which will both come into play in answering your question.

We only care about the contrast with the outside of any boundary of the UI
component when meeting the first bullet of the SC. The issue here is that
if there is a visual indication of the boundary, we want more users to be
able to detect it. So if there is a visual indication, it must meet
minimum contrast. Note that this doesn't require a boundary; if no one is
shown the boundary of the component, then everyone is equally not shown.

For the second part of the bullet, we care about the contrast between
parts of the graphic that convey meaning. In a situation where the graphic
is a UI component, a few things come into play. Let's first off assume
there is no visual boundary for the control. Where I have a monochromatic
shape, I only care about the contrast between its edge and the adjacent
background. Where I have a two-colour shape, I'll need to care about all
edges of both colors, both where they meet, and where they meet the
adjacent background color.
If there is a boundary, I'm going to care about its outside edge as per
the first bullet of the SC. But I am also going to care about the division
between the inside edge of the boundary and any internal graphic of the
component IF that division contributes to the understand of the shape. In
other words, is the boundary separated from the internal shape (by the
background page color) or does the boundary edge meet the internal shape?

Michael Gower
IBM Accessibility
Research

1803 Douglas Street, Victoria, BC  V8T 5C3
gowerm@ca.ibm.com
cellular: (250) 661-0098 *  fax: (250) 220-8034

From:   Jonathan Avila <jon.avila@levelaccess.com>
To:     WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Date:   2018-04-30 12:11 PM
Subject:        Understanding of SC 1.4.11

1.       Seeking clarity on contrast of bounds/state

In reading through the understanding doc on SC 1.4.11 non-text contrast I
wanted to make sure I understand the following statement regarding the
contrast “visual boundaries of the component must have sufficient contrast
with the adjacent background” and also regarding the state “ adjacent
background of the component.”

In one case we talk about the boundaries with the adjacent background and
the other the adjacent background of the component.  When we measure
contrast what is the contrast requirement? for both sides of the border or
only for one side?  Does it matter if it’s the inside or the outside?

2.       Seeking clarity on reference to SC 1.4.1 Use of Color in
understanding 1.4.11.

I agree with what is written under the note SC 1.4.1.  But the references
seem a little out of place and I think it might be worth discussing to
make sure we are all on the same page.  The way I read the reference is
that states used for adjacent controls such as to indicate that one toggle
button is pressed and another is not cannot rely on difference lightness
unless the lightness is >= 3:1.  The exception is if the state is also
communicated with some other visual mechanism then the contrast between
states can use any ratio of lightness.       I’ve always read 1.4.1/1.4.3
this way but wanted to understand the reference to 1.4.1 to understand
were one should be flagging this issue.   Should it be flagged under 1.4.1
Color or 1.4.11 non-text contrast if no other mechanism is available other
than contrast < 3:1 to show state?

Jonathan