Re: 1.4.10 Reflow and mobile user agents

On 01/05/2018 12:05, Detlev Fischer wrote:
> As I am trying to edit the Understanding text of 1.4.10 Reflow, I am wondering whether to lack of mobile user agents that offer reflow (apart from the Dolphin browser on Android, maybe some others) means that WCAG 2.1 as a whole can only ever be met for a desktop-oriented accessibility baseline?
> If authors want to claim conformance to WCAG 2.1 also on mobile devices, is there a need for a particular exception or a particular statement saying that
>
> - 1.4.10 does not apply to mobile UA; or
> - can in principle be met on mobile OSs, as evidenced by the Dolphin browser for Android, so this.is a UA issue;
> - 1.4.10 is implicitly met by other broadly equivalent means, e.g. the double tap gesture to zoom-in to selected columns (this means you can selectively zoom in and out of content without having to scroll)
> - something else?

My quickfire take: 1.4.10 defines a characteristic of the content
("Content can be presented..."). Emphasis for me is on "can". If a user
agent doesn't provide the ability to actually do the reflow/relayout,
then it's not the fault of the content/does not affect pass/fail
assessment. (It would likely be different if the wording was along the
"a mechanism is available" lines).

(This likely means that you'd have to *test* the responsiveness and
reflowing on a desktop browser, or using Dolphin, to make an assessment
about whether or not the content *can* be presented/reflowed correctly)

Patrick H. Lauke