RE: WCAG 2.1 Guideline Suggested Changes

Thanks everyone.
+1 to AWK most recent sorting, as below.

From: Katie Haritos-Shea [mailto:ryladog@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2018 11:42 PM
To: Andrew Kirkpatrick <akirkpat@adobe.com>
Cc: Michael Gower <michael.gower@ca.ibm.com>; Bailey, Bruce <Bailey@Access-Board.gov>; Kathy Wahlbin <kathy@interactiveaccessibility.com>; Katie Haritos-Shea <katie.haritos-shea@deque.com>; Shadi Abou-Zahra <shadi@w3.org>; WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: Re: WCAG 2.1 Guideline Suggested Changes

Thanks for putting SCs in A order, Andrew.

I like your change to Input Type description text.

I am open to group for location of Label in Name.

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018, 11:09 PM Andrew Kirkpatrick <akirkpat@adobe.com<mailto:akirkpat@adobe.com>> wrote:
I’ve tried to simplify this by removing the guidelines that are not affected from the columns after the first one, where the full structure is shown.
I can live with the change to “Input Methods” and suggest a small addition to Mike’s suggested wording for the GL text (“Make it easier for users to operate functionality using different input types.” [or “a variety of” instead of different]).
I think that the change to move Orientation to Adaptable makes sense.
I also like having a simple structure like Mike’s, but I think what is simplest is to move all of the remaining SC in the Operable Principal to 2.5 Input Methods. I don’t agree with moving Character Key shortcuts to Keyboard, as tempting as it is, because it is primarily about enabling speech navigation, and since speech is a different input type I think it helps round out the new 2.5. I could live with it in the Keyboard guideline but think that it is going to be misleading.
I don’t think that I can live with Label in Name in 4.1 however. I don’t think that it is about exposing information in ways that assistive technologies can recognize and interact with, it is about authoring the labels in a way that supports users using speech navigation, so I think that it also fits into the 2.5 Input Methods.

Current in Editor’s Draft

AWK suggestions

Katie email

Mike Gower email

1. Perceivable
1.1 Text Alternatives

1.1.1 Non-text Content

1.2 Time-based Media

1.2.1 Audio-only and Video-only (Prerecorded)

1.2.2 Captions (Prerecorded)

1.2.3 Audio Description or Media Alternative (Prerecorded)

1.2.4 Captions (Live)

1.2.5 Audio Description (Prerecorded)

1.2.6 Sign Language (Prerecorded)

1.2.7 Extended Audio Description (Prerecorded)

1.2.8 Media Alternative (Prerecorded)

1.2.9 Audio-only (Live)

1.3 Adaptable

1.3.1 Info and Relationships

1.3.2 Meaningful Sequence

1.3.3 Sensory Characteristics

1.3.4 Identify Common Purpose (#755 changes “common” to “input”)

1.3.5 Identify Purpose

1.4 Distinguishable

1.4.1 Use of Color

1.4.2 Audio Control

1.4.3 Contrast (Minimum)

1.4.4 Resize text

1.4.5 Images of Text

1.4.6 Contrast (Enhanced)

1.4.7 Low or No Background Audio

1.4.8 Visual Presentation

1.4.9 Images of Text (No Exception)

1.4.10 Reflow

1.4.11 Non-text Contrast

1.4.12 Text Spacing

1.4.13 Content on Hover or Focus

1. Perceivable

1.3 Adaptable

1.3.1 Info and Relationships

1.3.2 Meaningful Sequence

1.3.3 Sensory Characteristics

1.3.4 Orientation (was 2.6.2)

1.3.5 Identify Input Purpose

1.3.6 Identify Purpose

1. Perceivable
1.3 Adaptable

1.3.1 Info and Relationships

1.3.2 Meaningful Sequence

1.3.3 Sensory Characteristics

1.3.4 Identify Input Purpose

1.3.5 Identify Purpose

1.4 Distinguishable

1.4.1 Use of Color

1.4.2 Audio Control

1.4.3 Contrast (Minimum)

1.4.4 Resize text

1.4.5 Images of Text

1.4.6 Contrast (Enhanced)

1.4.7 Low or No Background Audio

1.4.8 Visual Presentation

1.4.9 Images of Text (No Exception)

1.4.10 Reflow

1.4.11 Non-text Contrast

1.4.12 Text Spacing

1.4.13 Content on Hover or Focus

1. Perceivable

1.3 Adaptable

1.3.1 Info and Relationships

1.3.2 Meaningful Sequence

1.3.3 Sensory Characteristics

1.3.4 Identify Input Purpose

1.3.5 Identify Purpose

1.3.6 Orientation (was 2.6.2)

2. Operable
2.1 Keyboard Accessible

2.1.1 Keyboard

2.1.2 No Keyboard Trap

2.1.3 Keyboard (No Exception)

2.2 Enough Time

2.2.1 Timing Adjustable

2.2.2 Pause, Stop, Hide

2.2.3 No Timing

2.2.4 Interruptions

2.2.5 Re-authenticating

2.2.6 Timeouts

2.3 Seizures and Physical Reactions

2.3.1 Three Flashes or Below Threshold

2.3.2 Three Flashes

2.3.3 Animation from Interactions

2.4 Navigable

2.4.1 Bypass Blocks

2.4.2 Page Titled

2.4.3 Focus Order

2.4.4 Link Purpose (In Context)

2.4.5 Multiple Ways

2.4.6 Headings and Labels

2.4.7 Focus Visible

2.4.8 Location

2.4.9 Link Purpose (Link Only)

2.4.10 Section Headings

2.4.11 Character Key Shortcuts

2.4.12 Label in Name

2.5 Pointer Accessible

2.5.1 Pointer Gestures

2.5.2 Pointer Cancellation

2.5.3 Target Size

2.5.4 Concurrent Input Mechanisms

2.6 Additional sensor inputs

2.6.1 Motion Actuation

2.6.2 Orientation

2. Operable

2.5 Input Methods

2.5.1 Pointer Gestures

2.5.2 Pointer Cancellation
2.5.3 Character Key Shortcuts (was 2.4.11)
2.5.4 Label in Name (was 2.4.12)
2.5.5 Target Size
2.5.6 Concurrent Input Mechanisms
2.5.7 Motion Actuation (was 2.6.1)

Input Methods description:

Make it easier for users to operate functionality using different input types.

2. Operable

2.5 Pointer Accessible

2.5.1 Pointer Gestures

2.5.2 Pointer Cancellation

2.5.3 Target Size

2.6 Speech Input

2.6.1 Character Key Shortcuts (was 2.4.11)

2.6.2 Label in Name (was 2.4.12)

2.7 Input Methods

2.7.1 Concurrent Input Mechanisms (was 2.5.4)

2.7.2 Motion Actuation (was 2.6.1)

2.8 Device Settings

2.8.1 Orientation (was 2.6.2)

2. Operable
2.1 Keyboard Accessible

2.1.1 Keyboard

2.1.2 No Keyboard Trap

2.1.3 Keyboard (No Exception)

2.1.4 Character Key Shortcuts (was 2.4.11)

2.5 Input Methods

2.5.1 Pointer Gestures

2.5.2 Pointer Cancellation

2.5.3 Target Size

2.5.4 Concurrent Input Mechanisms

2.5.5 Motion Actuation (was 2.6.1)

3. Understandable
3.1 Readable

3.1.1 Language of Page

3.1.2 Language of Parts

3.1.3 Unusual Words

3.1.4 Abbreviations

3.1.5 Reading Level

3.1.6 Pronunciation

3.2 Predictable

3.2.1 On Focus

3.2.2 On Input

3.2.3 Consistent Navigation

3.2.4 Consistent Identification

3.2.5 Change on Request

3.3 Input Assistance

3.3.1 Error Identification

3.3.2 Labels or Instructions

3.3.3 Error Suggestion

3.3.4 Error Prevention (Legal, Financial, Data)

3.3.5 Help

3.3.6 Error Prevention (All)

4. Robust
4.1 Compatible