From: James Nurthen [mailto:james.nurthen@oracle.com]
Sent: Friday, December 01, 2017 1:26 PM
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: Re: Hoverable condition for Content on Hover or Focus

I don't think I can live with the language - I find it really confusing and don't think changes to something like that are editorial.

Regards,

James

On 12/1/2017 10:19 AM, Repsher, Stephen J wrote:
Hi James,

I wanted to respond to your objection to the latest CFC language:
> The hoverable statement makes no sense and needs revising. I don't understand what "hover the additional content". Does it mean "The additional content remains visible while the pointer is over the additional content"?

Yes, that's exactly what it means.  A previous iteration said something similar to your suggestion and I cannot recall why it was changed at the moment, but coming up with a way to state this condition that no one finds confusing has been a bit of a challenge.  I did my best to explain this condition in detail in the draft Understanding<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__rawgit.com_w3c_wcag21_content-2Don-2Dhover-2Dor-2Dfocus_understanding_21_content-2Don-2Dhover-2Dor-2Dfocus.html&d=DwMFAg&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=CIHu8rc_0wRTTC_7DvWtiGNKjpA-3oTgbu_6ve6hP0I&m=dlRwEi6RDSwyusPanDx8QlQr8dCVuhrEfFQU7MX0na4&s=qKMhHRhwouEwWkBOFfuBNetQ99P5QjsqTx5zUcfZ7lA&e=>, and there's also Example 2 to visually show the importance.  (Note I still need to update from Visible Trigger to Dismissable in the understanding, but the rest is applicable.)

Can you live with this knowing we can work on this editorially?

Steve Repsher
Twitter<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__twitter.com_steverep&d=DwMFAg&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=CIHu8rc_0wRTTC_7DvWtiGNKjpA-3oTgbu_6ve6hP0I&m=dlRwEi6RDSwyusPanDx8QlQr8dCVuhrEfFQU7MX0na4&s=hNdCCGDZj12umeWnubs6dIBX_eOdG5bS0PvmVNmPxLw&e=> | LinkedIn<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.linkedin.com_in_steverepsherjr_&d=DwMFAg&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=CIHu8rc_0wRTTC_7DvWtiGNKjpA-3oTgbu_6ve6hP0I&m=dlRwEi6RDSwyusPanDx8QlQr8dCVuhrEfFQU7MX0na4&s=d8oYesU2Vry6Amqpj6HO7-R8ZIrdiYLo4I30nG8cv-Q&e=> | GitHub<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_steverep&d=DwMFAg&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=CIHu8rc_0wRTTC_7DvWtiGNKjpA-3oTgbu_6ve6hP0I&m=dlRwEi6RDSwyusPanDx8QlQr8dCVuhrEfFQU7MX0na4&s=_2nr90C7jfZuZMdlKuxmEESAQwQDOEnUgwaMIKBgsZg&e=>

--
Regards, James

James Nurthen | Principal Engineer, Accessibility
Phone: +1 650 506 6781<tel:+1%20650%20506%206781> | Mobile: +1 415 987 1918<tel:+1%20415%20987%201918> | Video: james.nurthen@oracle.com<sip:james.nurthen@oracle.com>
Oracle Corporate Architecture
500 Oracle Parkway | Redwood City, CA 94065