Re: Fw: Latest updated version of Purpose of Controls

RE: The new introduction to the *Common Purposes for User Interface
Components *section.

While I don't disagree that further disambiguation is a good thing, I have
a minor concern that the introduction introduces the concept of a taxonomy
(Q: do we need to define that in the Glossary?).

The use of a common taxonomy of course is a critical part of achieving
success for this SC, but the actual language doesn't reference anything
about metadata/taxonomies at all, and so as a general question, are we
missing something here?

Should the language of the SC be modified to something like:

In content implemented using markup languages, for each user interface
component that serves a purpose identified in the Common Purposes for User
Interface Components
<http://rawgit.com/w3c/wcag21/purpose_of_controls_changes3/guidelines/index.html#commonpurposes>
section,
that purpose can be programmatically determined using a publicly available
taxonomy.

...and then:

Taxonomy: When used as part of a metadata solution, the taxonomy is the
listing of terms and definitions used to further abstract or define the
element that the metadata term is applied to. Common public metadata
libraries (schemas) include Schema.org, Dublin Core, Personalization
Semantics, and others.

Thoughts?

JF

--