Re: Target Size SC

On 21/11/2017 17:03, Kathy Wahlbin wrote:
> Based on the feedback on today’s call, I took a stab at modifying the
> target size success criteria language for AA and AAA.  See the section
> “Alternative Wording” on the WIKI
>
> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/WCAG_2.1/targets#SC_revision_discussed_on_11.2F21_call_.28Kathy.27s_suggestion.29

 From the "SC revision discussed on Nov 21 call" section:

* In-Page - The target is a text link where the destination is on the
same page;

Why special-case in-page "text" and "link"? If the idea is that the fact
this just leads to somewhere on the current page, and the user can
scroll if they are having difficulty clicking/tapping, then this
rationale would apply equally to non-text links, or non-link controls in
general that have the effect of jumping (scrolling and moving focus) to
another part of the current page?

* Text Links - The target is a text link with a size that is at least 22
pixels in width or height;

Assuming text links are special-cased here as traditionally it's
difficult in certain situations to provide enough vertical size (other
than using padding top and bottom, which can interfere with text
above/below) and it's difficult to guarantee the length/width of the
text as well? It still feels arbitrary that, if we had two links - one
text, and one that looks/acts exactly the same but is made up of a
graphic/image instead - the text one would have more lenient
requirements than the other. And it provides a strange loophole for
authors who have been using non-text links (e.g. graphics) - they simply
need to change the links to use text instead in order to fall under the
less prescriptive requirements.

 From the "Alternative Wording - Level AA":

* Text Links - The target is a text link with a size that is at least 22
pixels in width or height unless it is in a block of text;

As this is already a bullet in a list of "except" exceptions, it's
unclear what the "unless" is negating. Is it negating the exception
altogether (i.e. if the text link is in a block of text, it doesn't
count as an exception for the SC at all)? I suspect this is intended to
mean "if it's in a block of text, the entire SC doesn't apply to it at
all"? If so, I'd suggest that needs to be written excplicitly, to avoid
ambiguity.

And same comment as above about why this just applies to "text" and "links".

Patrick H. Lauke