RE: Does 1.4.1 cover differences in state?

By “active” do you mean “not disabled” (as in aria-disabled=false)? If so, clarification would be helpful, as there doesn’t seem to be a generally accepted term for this concept.

From: Michael Gower [mailto:michael.gower@ca.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, November 17, 2017 10:29 AM
To: James Nurthen <james.nurthen@oracle.com>
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org; Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Subject: Re: Does 1.4.1 cover differences in state?

I'm trying to tackle these different scenarios in the Understanding text of Graphics Contrast, where pertinent. We may also need to add additional material to the Understanding doc for 1.4.1.
I will note that the combination of sufficient Graphics Contrast in combination with Use of Color makes for some complicated scenarios but SO FAR logically consistent guidance.

However, we may need to rejig the wording slightly for 1.4.11 to address some edge cases. It currently states:
User Interface Components
Visual information used to indicate states and boundaries of active user interface components, except where the appearance of the component is determined by the user agent and not modified by the author.

I think this should more properly read something like:
User Interface Component boundaries
Visual information used to indicate boundaries of active user interface components, except where the appearance of the component is determined by the user agent and not modified by the author.
User Interface Component states
Visual information used to indicate states of active user interface components, except where the enhancements determined by the user agent are not suppressed by the author.

Folks may want to review C15: Using CSS to change the presentation of a user interface component when it receives focus<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2FTR%2F2016%2FNOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20161007%2FC15&data=02%7C01%7Cjjwhite%40ets.org%7Cbfe5d3196c8b4feab53f08d52dd038a4%7C0ba6e9b760b34fae92f37e6ddd9e9b65%7C0%7C0%7C636465294680747380&sdata=%2FHTTmrHCwXmyKcmmI5HogEXSNm2e3dqXowhhapoJoAM%3D&reserved=0>

James has already pointed out the onhover effect for the four buttons that appear at the top of this (and every) WCAG page. This page also provides two examples which appear to be contraventions of Use of Color, until one realizes that the examples, as noted by Steve, are enhancing the visual appearance "when an interactive element has focus or when a user hovers over it using a pointing device "

So, for the rollover effect, the mouse cursor shape change indicates the interact item beneath. So while the author effect is only Use of Color, it is not the sole indicator. In the linked working example, for the input field, the flashing insertion point also indicates focus. For the radio buttons, the focus rectangle provides the redunancy beyond the yellow highlight enhancement. I will say that the examples they provide are to me questionable design decisions, but they are 'allowable' as long as the author has not suppressed the native browser effects.

I've broken out boundary from state effects for this precise reason. I believe the language's intent is consistent with the philosophy of G183: Using a contrast ratio of 3:1 with surrounding text and providing additional visual cues on focus for links or controls where color alone is used to identify them<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2FTR%2F2016%2FNOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20161007%2FG183&data=02%7C01%7Cjjwhite%40ets.org%7Cbfe5d3196c8b4feab53f08d52dd038a4%7C0ba6e9b760b34fae92f37e6ddd9e9b65%7C0%7C0%7C636465294680747380&sdata=kxFV9F2Lc0lbQmVVA8KfaLtIXIpjUSXQsEvE1SWQVks%3D&reserved=0>

Michael Gower
IBM Accessibility
Research

1803 Douglas Street, Victoria, BC  V8T 5C3
gowerm@ca.ibm.com<mailto:gowerm@ca.ibm.com>
voice: (250) 220-1146 * cel: (250) 661-0098 *  fax: (250) 220-8034