RE: Graphics contrast comments overview

> Borders: I think borders need to come under "visual information used to indicate state", where the active state (that it exists) is a state. Otherwise James' example [2]  about a strong border on one side passing vs the same thing with an additional light border on 3 sides is true.

Let we summarize what I think what you are saying is that if the author uses a border to communicate the role of something then the aspect has to meet the contrast requirements.  It doesn't require an author provide that affordance if they didn't.  So if I choose to make a piece of text blue and have it function like a button nothing needs to be done other than the contrast of the blue text in the non-focused state or non-pressed state of that button.  If I use a solid background to make something look like a button then I have to make sure the edge of the background has sufficient contrast from the surrounding pixels outside of the focused or pressed state.  If I have multiple buttons with some in pressed and others in non-pressed states the difference between the colors used for the pressed states need to have a 3:1 ratio as well.   Focus indicators need to provide 3:1 contrast as well.  Is that right?

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
Level Access, inc. (formerly SSB BART Group, inc.)
(703) 637-8957
Jon.avila@levelaccess.com
Visit us online: Website | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Blog
Looking to boost your accessibility knowledge? Check out our free webinars!

The information contained in this transmission may be attorney privileged and/or confidential information intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.