Re: CFC - Changes to "Character Key Shortcuts"

Understood. First letter navigation was hashed out on the issue thread.

I don’t know if any example of first letter navigation that’s a single character key shortcut. You always have to do a non single key shortcut first to get to the dropdown with, for example, a Tab. So the command sequence for choosing Massachusetts, for example, would be “Tab”,  “m”. That’s not a single character shortcut and so does not cause any problem and is useful for speech users. They would have no need to be able to turn it off. If, however, a developer got the idea that it might be OK to use a single character key shortcut for focusing menu and allowed a user to navigate to a dropdown with, for instance, the single letter shortcut “s”, that would be a problem and would fall under the original wording. In my experience it really is that simple.

If anyone can find a real example of a single character key shortcut that drops down a menu please send it to me to test and I can post another example video — I can’t see how it would be similar to any other true single character key shortcut, but would be glad to show.

I think we should not add a phrase that isn't informed by a real example.

Cheers,
Kim

Kim Patch
scriven.com/kimpatch