Re: Discussion: Change to SC 2.6.2 Orientation

Alastair wrote:

> (in plainer English): Don’t lock the orientation unless there is no other
way.

Question: if Alastair needs to use plainer language to explain what we
want, why aren't we also using plainer language in the actual SC text?

It also appears that the proposed text is morphing a fair bit in this
thread. The last concrete proposal I read comes from Steve:

Content is operable in all display orientations supported by the user
agent, except where display orientation is essential.

or

A mechanism is available to view and operate content in all display
orientations except where the display orientation is essential or not
supported by the user agent.

Personally, I like the second option better, as it doesn't out-right forbid
authoring a 'default' orientation, as long as a mechanism is available for
individual users to override that default.

I think this is the best of both worlds: it allows content authors some
control over initial presentation, while still leaving individual users the
ability to personalize the content for their specific situation.

It also avoids the debate around the term "lock", which here
​appears
to have both a technical meaning ("*...even if there's a mechanism to
change it, the orientation is locked. The example is that given in the
GitHub issue: a button that calls the lock() method to lock the orientation
when the user presses it.*
​" ​
- Jason White)
​, as well as a more general non-technical understanding of the term
"Locked" (a.k.a. "The screen is in a fixed display orientation, and I as an
individual user cannot change that display orientation")​. If further
disambiguation is required there, then that should fall to the
Understanding document, which could expand on the differences/similarities
between the lock() method (a scripting function) versus "locked"
orientation (a presentation state).

Finally, it seems that there would be value in the Screen Orientation API
spec for a Warning Note related to this, along the lines of "avoid this
whenever possible, and if you must, provide a means to 'unlock' the screen
orientation" [sic]. I will take that item to the APA WG for further
discussion/action.

JF

--
John Foliot