Re: Proposed reply to issue #459 (IBM comment on 2.6.1 Device Sensors, focusing on motion actuation)

On 11/10/2017 06:52, Patrick H. Lauke wrote:
> On 11/10/2017 02:10, Jonathan Avila wrote:
>>
>> Detlev,
>> As I recall the original intent of this proposed criteria by the
>> mobile accessibility task force was to cover all device sensors not
>> just motion.
>
> All sensors that are used as active (rather than passive) inputs, i.e.
> sensors that the user explicitly activates to trigger something (like
> motion/orientation sensor on a phone/tablet, compared to sensors that
> pick up ambient information like light levels, temperature, or even the
> motion of a user as they go about their activities - like a pedometer -
> where it's not the user explicitly trying to trigger anything).

Addendum: but I think from discussions that followed we zeroed in on the
motion/orientation aspect because (barring some experimentations, like
using a light sensor in combination with a light source that the user
directs towards it as a way of indicating an intent) other sensors are
generally not used as active inputs.

I can see how the generic sensor wording could potentially be too wide
in scope though, and refocusing to just motion/orientation would
probably cover most scenarios we were concerned about.

Patrick H. Lauke