From: David MacDonald [mailto:david@can-adapt.com]
Sent: donderdag 5 oktober 2017 14:50
To: WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: Accessible Name

A proposal was made to strike the wore "Accessible" for "Accessible Name" in the SC of the same name.

"Where an active control has a visible label, the accessible name for the control includes the text string used for its visible label.

The rational for this was sound. It was to unify the definition with our existing overlapping term "name". I'd like to explore another possible way to reconcile the two. My reason for this is that "Accessible Name" is now the most common term rather than "name"

Within our charter, I think we can do the following, simply add the word (accessible name) after the term in the definition. Perhaps Michael can confirm this.

name (accessible name)
     text by which software can identify a component within Web content to the user

I think it could make the new SC easier to understand which has value.

Cheers,
David MacDonald

CanAdapt Solutions Inc.
Mobile:  613.806.9005<tel:(613)%20806-9005>

LinkedIn

twitter.com/davidmacd<http://twitter.com/davidmacd>

GitHub<https://github.com/DavidMacDonald>

www.Can-Adapt.com<http://www.can-adapt.com/>

  Adapting the web to all users
            Including those with disabilities

If you are not the intended recipient, please review our privacy policy<http://www.davidmacd.com/disclaimer.html>

ATTENTION:
The information in this e-mail is confidential and only meant for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, don't use or disclose it in any way. Please let the sender know and delete the message immediately.