RE: CFC - Proposed definition for 'Programatic Notification'

  *   ​If we want to completely unpack this SC and try to rewrite for all types of other notifications, then I'd be interested to see that.​ But his SC as written has broad support everywhere I go.

I have AND continue to support the SC – I don’t support the definition of programmatic notification.

  *   " ...using methods that are supported by user agents, including assistive technologies..."
This is borrowed from programmatically determined
  *   ​, which is primarily about screen readers.​

I have no problems with  that text – people may have considered that it was primarily aimed at screen readers but it broadly applies beyond that.  Most of the people with disabilities on this planet are not using screen readers.

  *   I don't understand. The entire purpose of the definition is to allow aria-live to meet it.
  *   ​That's the intent of it.​

But it turns out the definition opens up Pandora’s box instead.

  *   ​If we want to completely unpack this SC and try to rewrite for all types of other notifications, then I'd be interested to see that.​ But his SC as written has broad support everywhere I go.
Let’s just fix the definition instead of throwing up a straw man.

What about something like “

Programmatic notification.

A notification that is programmatically determinable, does not solely rely communicating a relationship between the user action and the content change,  and does not require focus being moved to the change of content.

Example: a programmatically determinable property is used to communicate to a screen reader that the user’s shopping cart has been updated after they select an item for purchase.

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
Level Access, inc. (formerly SSB BART Group, inc.)
(703) 637-8957
Jon.avila@levelaccess.com<mailto:Jon.avila@levelaccess.com>
Visit us online: Website<http://www.ssbbartgroup.com/> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/SSBBARTGroup> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/ssbbartgroup> | LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/company/355266?trk=tyah> | Blog<http://www.ssbbartgroup.com/blog/>
Looking to boost your accessibility knowledge? Check out our free webinars!<http://www.ssbbartgroup.com/webinars/>

The information contained in this transmission may be attorney privileged and/or confidential information intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

> Aria-live may solve that – but that’s not what the definition allows for.  The definition would allow for a speech API announcement only to pass.

I don't understand. The entire purpose of the definition is to allow aria-live to meet it.
​That's the intent of it.​

" ...using methods that are supported by user agents, including assistive technologies..."

This is borrowed from programmatically determined
​, which is primarily about screen readers.​

​If we want to completely unpack this SC and try to rewrite for all types of other notifications, then I'd be interested to see that.​ But his SC as written has broad support everywhere I go.

Cheers,
David MacDonald

CanAdapt Solutions Inc.

Tel:  613.235.4902