Re: Numbering WCAG 2.1

+0

I won’t object, but I think we may need to re-think this later.

Particularly where Michael said:
> “But in discussion, the importance of keeping conformance levels in a block seemed not to be too high.“

I have tried to make that point, I think that is important for understand-ability and we are currently prioritising expert & tool use over people who are not familiar with WCAG (which is the biggest group).

However, not many others are making that point so I won’t keep arguing about it.

I suspect we will get comments from the public about the ordering being confusing later in the process so the option I’d like to keep open is the de-emphasising the numbers, which would enable us to be more flexible about the order whilst keeping the proposed numbering.

I put together a small example of what that could look like here:
https://alastairc.ac/tests/wcag21-examples/wcag21-model7.html

I can’t spend any longer on it so there’s just two SC in there, but the idea is the number is added to the right-hand links box, and removed from the start of the SC short-name. Everything else is the same, although the HTML structure would need a bit more finessing.

That would enable us to slot in new SC in the level-order without it looking too odd, so new level-A SC would go after the 2.0 level-A SC, and so on.

Cheers,

-Alastair