Draft response for Issue 153 Adapting Text. (was Re: Assigning issues)

Hi Andrew and all,

Issue 153 assigned to me.
https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/issues/153

The comment is:

"The Adapting Text SC would be a fantastic addition. As a high
contrast color user its often the case that websites don’t account for
user-defined colors and you end up in situations where text gets
garbled or you can end up with for example, black text on a black
background. The specifics of this need some work but I’m a big fan of
the principle."

The following is a draft response. Ideas for improvement much appreciated.

On 9/14/17, Andrew Kirkpatrick <akirkpat@adobe.com> wrote:

> For each issue, please identify:

> 1. Should this issue be closed?

I believe it can be closed. I think this is covered because users can
already change colors via user style sheets and WCAG 2.0 has F3 and
F24 in place.

> 2. What would be an appropriate response to the issue to share with the commenter?

Perhaps something such as:

Thank you for your comment.

We agree that the adapting text SC is a good addition. However, the
color requirement has been removed as the Low Vision Task Force has
found that users can override author CSS color rules. Users need to
carefully craft their user rules to be at the same or higher
specificity level as an author's rules. This may necessitate users
investigating an author's markup.

Beyond this WCAG has 2 related failure techniques in place for authors to heed:

F3: Failure of Success Criterion 1.1.1 due to using CSS to include
images that convey important information [1]

F24: Failure of Success Criterion 1.4.3, 1.4.6 and 1.4.8 due to
specifying foreground colors without specifying background colors or
vice versa [2].

> 3. Are there discussion points that the WG needs to address in order to finalize a response?

Removing the note from the Adapting Text SC. Font and color do not
seem to be issues. For details check the adapting text user to content
requirements table for what actually breaks for users and what we can
do about it.

[1] https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/F3.html
[2] https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/F24.html
[3] https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/low-vision-a11y-tf/wiki/Adapting_text_user_to_content_requirements_table