Re: Purpose of Controls SC

I will try to be clearer. I'm objecting to the WG essentially building our
own spec. I believe this is happening because the web ecosystem which
would allow Purpose of Controls to be met without a lot of heavy lifting
by authors is very immature.

We are being asked to give approval for something clearly in a state of
flux --  the list of what authors will actually have to do may be put in a
normative section or may not. The items on the list may be pared down, or
they may be added to. So I have no way of knowing what the actual impact
from this is.

The closest parallel that has been cited to Purpose of Controls is 4.1.2
Name, Role, Value. When 4.1.2 was introduced it was light-weight for many
authors. You essentially met it if you were just using standard HTML
components. If you added in custom widgets, you could supplement HTML with
a fairly small subset of aria attributes.

While not expecting Purpose of Controls to be that light-weight, I also
think it should be achievable and testable without overwhelming authors.
My preferred way of doing that is to base it on a spec (or multiple specs)
with good credibility and momentum.

I don't want to get into the weeds here, John, but I think microdata was
discontinued 4 years ago and has no browser support beyond Opera.
Microformats is a better candidate, IF you're using php, etc, etc.

PS Michael, thanks for correcting me on the state of the COGA semantics as
a First Public Working Draft.

Michael Gower
IBM Accessibility
Research

1803 Douglas Street, Victoria, BC  V8T 5C3
gowerm@ca.ibm.com
voice: (250) 220-1146 * cel: (250) 661-0098 *  fax: (250) 220-8034