Re: CFC - Purpose of Controls SC

-1
I missed the first part of the meeting, but my brief comments about my
concerns were in the survey. I'll elaborate here.

I do not believe it is appropriate for a single SC in WCAG to take the
place of a specification. There have been assurances now for 8 months that
the ARIA COGA Semantics to Enable Personalization proposal would be mature
enough to fulfill that role in time for WCAG 2.1. Instead, it appears not
have been updated since April.
The specification remains an influx working draft, and so we are faced
with a hastily constructed substitute in this SC. The attributes listed in
the SC draft not only deviate from the list in the draft spec, but
actually increase the number -- it isn't even a subset. It has clearly not
been vetted for basic syntax (e.g., "city or locality", "my profile",
"contact us", etc.), let alone properly normalized (i.e, how does an
author differentiate the "name" attribute in an input with attribute using
"name" as  the conventional meaning of a person's name). In short, it
lacks basic due diligence even as an editorial note. The inference that
its 140 some-odd attributes are going to be perfected through the public
comments process is troubling. I believe such effort should be handled by
the ARIA WG that first published this draft semantics document.

I cannot support this in its current form.

Michael Gower
IBM Accessibility
Research

1803 Douglas Street, Victoria, BC  V8T 5C3
gowerm@ca.ibm.com
voice: (250) 220-1146 * cel: (250) 661-0098 *  fax: (250) 220-8034