Re: Concurrent Input Mechanisms

On 03/08/2017 19:45, White, Jason J wrote:
> I think Andrew’s suggested formulations are moving in the right
> direction so far as clarifying the idea is concerned. Obviously,
> restricting the available input modalities is not a good idea. On the
> other hand, I don’t know how Web content can fail to satisfy this, in
> practical terms, or how serious the accessibility issues are that result
> if it does. In particular, surely most of the issues lie at the user
> agent or operating system level.

Classic example: a page sniffs to see if Touch Events are present, and
if so only hooks up touch event listeners (rather than traditional
mouse, keyboard, generic `click` handlers, etc).

This falls apart on devices like laptops/desktops with both touchscreen
AND traditional keyboard/mouse (e.g. Surface), and in situations where a
nominally touch-only device like a phone or tablet has a paired keyboard
and/or mouse.

The impact is that users are forced to just use the touchscreen. The
fact that the keyboard in these situations doesn't work can be filed as
a failure of 2.1.1, but forcing mouse users to use touchscreen falls
between the cracks of current WCAG at the moment. This would hopefully
fill that gap.

Patrick H. Lauke