Re: Adapting Text Units: Spaces, paragraphs, and ems

Steve's font size proposal right. And font-size is cross technology.

The unit em is very old, predating computers. Outside of the web em is
font-size, http://www.thomasphinney.com/2011/03/point-size/
With regard to the items we are defining em is font-size on the web. For
letter-spacing in CSS for example, a value of .1em, with a font size of
16px is 1.6px above the default (called 'normal' letter spacing).
Line-height of 1em is the font-size for the element.

+1 to Steve.

Wayne

Note 1. I used .1em instead of .12em because it was easier to multipy by 16.

Note 2: Browsers don't do this exactly. Allocating .16px must be difficult.
I measured this directly for Arial with normal spacing against Arial with
0.1em letter spacing and got 1.578px added to default letter spacing.
That's 0.022 pixels different from .16px the predicted value.