RE: Adapting Text Units: Spaces, paragraphs, and ems

The difference is that 1.4.8 requires that a mechanism be available to make the adaptations.  For the SC in question, the assumption is that the user already has a mechanism and the criterion ensures they can execute that adaptation with ease and no losses.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Laura Carlson [mailto:laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 3:59 PM
To: Repsher, Stephen J <stephen.j.repsher@boeing.com>; Lisa Seeman <lisa.seeman@zoho.com>
Cc: public-low-vision-a11y-tf <public-low-vision-a11y-tf@w3.org>; w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: Re: Adapting Text Units: Spaces, paragraphs, and ems

Hi Stephen and Lisa,

Steve, thank you very much for your explanation and work on this. I agree that the paragraph bullet complicate testing Adapting Text SC.

On 7/12/17, Repsher, Stephen J <stephen.j.repsher@boeing.com> wrote:

> The other 3 bullets are important because they affect the content
> within the element and thus how it is sized is being tested.  What is
> being tested with paragraph spacing?

Lisa, could you please answer that, as you're the person who is objecting to having the Adapting Text SC in 2.1 without it.

Steve, my thought would be the same as WCAG 2.0 1.4.8 Visual
Presentation: spacing between paragraphs. It says:

"...Line spacing (leading) is at least space-and-a-half within paragraphs, and paragraph spacing is at least 1.5 times larger than the line spacing..."

http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20#visual-audio-contrast-visual-presentation

Is that untestable?

COGA does have their Visual Presentation SC #51:
https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/issues/51

If it would simplify matters, perhaps it could be specified in Issue 51. Lisa your thoughts. Would you object to that?

Thanks again.

Kindest Regards,
Laura

--