Re: Adapting Text Units: Spaces, paragraphs, and ems

Hi John,

The testing on HTML based sites should be fairly easy, use styles and/or scripts to override the values to those in the bullets.

That’s what the bookmarklet [1] did (NB: needs updating to the newer values), so you apply that script and see what breaks or gets hidden.

VIP reader (for PDFs) takes a linearization approach, and you then add whatever font-adjustment you like. Testing there is pretty quick to, PDFs tend to either reflow ok, or implode fairly badly.

I’d suggest this:

* line-height (spacing) to at least 1.5 (space-and-a-half)
* spacing between paragraphs to at least 2 em (2 lines)
* letter spacing (tracking) to at least 0.12 em
* word spacing to at least 0.16 em

In HTML/CSS, line-height is the term, line-spacing elsewhere. If that is still confusing, then call it “1.5 em” which is then tied to the definition of font-size, and the same thing in practice.

For the paragraph spacing, browsers have their own padding/margin values which can vary, so it would be best to have a straight measurement (based on font-size) rather than adding to a default.

The original SC from COGA included: “Line spacing (leading) is at least space-and-a-half within paragraphs; and paragraph spacing is at least 1.5 times larger than the line spacing.”

I’m not clear what that means because it is relative unit multiplied by a relative unit?!

line height of 1.5 * 2 = 2.25 em?

I suggest we just round that off to “2 lines”, or “2 em”. If the requirement is for more, we can increase it but let’s do it clearly!

Cheers,

-Alastair

PS. Wayne has done some great work on how letter/word spacing, font-size, and font-family interact. It looks to me like we could combine the two width bullets into:
* letter spacing (tracking) to at least 0.05 em

1] https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/issues/78#issuecomment-277743607