RE: Keyboard accessible links without onclick or functioning href

It seems that the links, as described, being incompatible with most screen readers due to the lack of a click event handler, fail item 1 of the definition of “accessibility supported” in WCAG 2.0. That is, they aren’t meeting 2.1.1 in an accessibility-supported way. The definition reads:

“The way that the Web content technology<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#technologydef> is used must be supported by users' assistive technology (AT). This means that the way that the technology is used has been tested for interoperability with users' assistive technology in the human language(s)<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#human-langdef> of the content, […]”

From: Andrew Kirkpatrick [mailto:akirkpat@adobe.com]
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2017 10:40 AM
To: Jonathan Avila <jon.avila@levelaccess.com>; WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Keyboard accessible links without onclick or functioning href

Jon,
I do think that WCAG 2.0 allows custom links, but as you know the bar is high to address all of the needs for users. This feels like an “accessibility supported” question.

If I invent  way to include a link in a page I need to address keyboard support, mouse/pointer support, and name/role/value at least. Naturally, if I go this route I will need to be paying much closer attention to how the variety of user agents handles these, including in combination with AT, and I lose a lot of the built-in support for anchor elements in HTML.

At first glance, this seems most related to the “keyboard support with AT” SC proposal concept.

Thanks,
AWK

Andrew Kirkpatrick
Group Product Manager, Accessibility