RE: Support as an SC prefix?

I have always read the WCAG2 “Mechanism is available” to mean that you must ensure that either the user agent the user can do it - or if that can’t be guaranteed (i.e. the user could be using a user agent which does not support it) then the content must provide that support itself.

For example 1.4.2 states that a mechanism must be available to pause audio or control its volume independently from the system volume. Pretty much every browser now supports muting an individual tab. Can we essentially assume this is now a pass a a browser supports this so it is now the user agent’s issue rather than the content’s problem?

Regards,
James