Re: Should the boxes around blocks of text in the FPWD have Sufficient contrast under the new SC. WAS: Re: CFC: Publish WCAG 2.1 FPWD

Great test !

Where I see the difference — is
between
TYPE 1:  do something unless it is essential that you do not     (e.g. if you do this it breaks the page)
and
TYPE 2:  do this only to essential things   (you don’t need to do it to everything - just the essential things

they are quite different

It looks like all of the SC  (both old and new )  are type 1   (except 2.2.3  -where the exception is an exclusion to the exception — so that is an odd duck but still ok because not type 2

In WCAG 2   they are all the first type
1.4.9 Images of Text (No Exception)§AAA​ ​Images of text are only used for pure decoration or where a particular presentation of text is essential to the information being conveyed.
TYPE 1
Here if you DO what we ask it will BREAK the purpose of the page (e.g.  it is a picture of John Hancocks signature — and changing it to plain text — well — you get the idea) (also if it is pictures of different fonts that you do not have on your computer)
2.2.1 Timing Adjustable​ ​A​    - the ​Essential exception
TYPE 1
Again — you are removing the time limit (DO THIS UNLESS)  unless that breaks the function.  e.g. a race
2.2.3 No Timing§AAA​ ​Timing is not an essential part of the event or activity presented by the content, except for non-interactive synchronized media and real-time events.
This is actually saying that you cannot use “Essential” to get out of anything.  It basically says that there is no timing - and you can’t claim essential as an exception.   That is why this is a level AAA — because it cannot apply to all things.    If you did it would mean you cannot have timed anything.  No races,  no auctions, etc.

On the new one

The visual presentation of essential graphical objects for user interface component(s)
2.2.7 Animation from interactionsA
For significant animations triggered by a user action that is not an essential part of the action, there is a mechanism for the user to pause, stop or hide the animations while still performing the same action.
this is Type 1.    and OK.   (PS I think “part of the action”  should be changed to  “part of the function of xxxx”    you can’t say  “the action”  unless you first define what the action is - and I presume its not the ’user action’ or else ????
2.6.1 Device Sensors
All functionality of the content can be operated without requiring specific device sensor information unless the device sensor is essential for the function and not using it would invalidate the activity
this is type 1   and OK      ("and not using it would invalidate the activity" — is not needed.  That should be in the definition of “essential” already
2.6.2 Orientation§
 Content is not locked to a specific orientation, and functionality of the content is operable in all orientations, except where orientation is essential for use of the content
Type 1  -   OK
3.1.7 Plain Language (Minimum) Essential exception:
EXCEPTION: If the writing style is an essential part of the main function of the site, such as a game, a literary work, or teaching new terms
TYPE 1 - OK
3.2.6 Accidental Activation​ essential exception:
EXCEPTION: Timing of activation is essential and waiting for the up-event would invalidate the activity.
TYPE 1 - OK
3.2.7 Familiar design essential Exception:
EXCEPTION: The style is an essential part of the main function of the site, such as for a game
TYPE 1 - OK
This one is pretty vague though.  You might want to tighten up what ‘essential style’ means if you can

So I don’t see any problems with the way Essential is used in the old or new SC except where the criterion is vague.     (All use of essential has a bit of a problem and some will abuse it.  — and it will be hard to argue.  But good to have it on the table anyway).    But If something is too vague then it can weaken the whole set of guidelines but creating a point of valid criticism.    So I would try to strengthen anything that is not clear.

Best

Gregg