Re: Does anyone else agree with my perspective - was Re: "we should not allow user testing in exceptions" (was Re: clarifing the debate)

I just want to explain the difference between requiring user testing for conformance (as resolved) and allowing user testing for exceptions

Requiring user testing for conformance: User testing is probably the gold standard (The best thing to do) - especially for people with cognitive disabilities. However, requiring it puts a huge burden on people making small web sites and we want everyone to be able to conform - even web sites made by a student in their spare time. Requiring user testing would prevent that. So we make a bunch of clear instructions (SCs) for them to follow, and they can make their content usable by people with disabilities.

Allowing user testing for exceptions is something different. Here people have thought of something somewhat better then our general instructions. They tested it and it works. Allowing them to  go with their wording makes sense. They can add some information about their user testing in their accessibility statement, and they should hold on to their records incase there is ever a complaint. It adds some flexibility to our guidelines and I think we all agree successful user testing is often the best path to a good user experience.

Allowing user testing for exception in no way prevents the small web developer form achieving conformance or burdens them with the added expense of user testing, which i think was the main reason we voted against it. It just gives more flexibility and better accessibility.

All the best

Lisa Seeman

LinkedIn, Twitter

---- On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 15:18:34 +0200 Andrew Kirkpatrick<akirkpat@adobe.com> wrote ----

   Jan,
 To your last point, there was strong support on the WG to emphasize the importance of user studies in WCAG 2.1, so we will definitely want to do that and will appreciate any help you and others on the group can provide with the wording.

   Thanks,
 AWK

 Andrew Kirkpatrick
 Group Product Manager, Standards and Accessibility
 Adobe

 akirkpat@adobe.com
 http://twitter.com/awkawk