From: Wayne Dick [mailto:wayneedick@gmail.com]
Sent: 16 February 2017 06:00
To: lisa.seeman <lisa.seeman@zoho.com>
Cc: Joshue O Connor <josh@interaccess.ie>; John Foliot <john.foliot@deque.com>; W3c-Wai-Gl-Request@W3. Org <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Does anyone else agree with my perspective - was Re: "we should not allow user testing in exceptions" (was Re: clarifing the debate)

I agree with you Lisa. The old WCAG did not study cognitive disabilities enough to determine how to test ways to overcome barriers. WCAG 2.0 focused on a narrow and easily defined set of disabilities with highly testable barriers. It was not inclusive.
I too find the current AG process frustrating. The group never considered Cognitive and LV disabilities with the necessary care in the past to solve the real problems. This is witnessed by their inadequate framework for testing barriers for these disabilities.  They are imposing differential standards to these disability groups because they are not looking for new testing methods for a new type of problem. If the old testing techniques do not work, then a proven barrier to access are left in place.
Grappling with and solving the real needs of people with LV and Cognitive disabilities is a test for the legitimacy of the AG working group as a leader in accessibility guidelines. If guidelines and test procedures cannot be expanded to accurately identify insurmountable barriers for people in these disability groups, then the disability community will have to look to other leadership for developing accessibility standards.
Wayne

Yes I can see how small sample user testing techniques need to be built by organizations the claim to test for accessibility.